Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Language

            I found this experiment to be much more difficult than the second experiment. I was allowed to make facial expressions and use my body in order to describe my emotions, but I was very limited in my ability to give a substantial response. My partner in the conversation was almost frustrated in a sense because I was not really answering or contributing much to the conversation. It was much more of a one way street. He ended up asking me much more direct and simple questions, ones that I could answer with a yes or no. The conversation also took on a much slower pace, since he had to spend a lot of time trying to understand what I was saying.
If my partner and I were representing two different cultures, then he would have the advantage as the speaking culture in expressing complex ideas. He has the language capacity to express his culture’s behaviors and traditions in great detail, whereas I could only imitate briefly. The speaking culture would possibly have a superior attitude toward the other culture because they would feel more advanced since they know how to speak. They might even believe the other culture is stupid. Deaf people are one subset of individuals who do not use spoken language and I believe they are treated differently as a result. Speaking people will often whisper around deaf people or treat them as though they are inferior. This behavior is extremely ignorant since they can communicate just as effectively as we can.
            This experiment was easier than the first one, but still very difficult to accomplish. My partners were having trouble understanding my emotions and reactions to what they were saying. I was not showing any facial expressions and I used a very monotonous tone in my voice, thus masking any feelings I had about the conversation. We were able to have a fully functioning conversation, but it was very serious and my partners seemed confused about my attitude. They even asked me a few times how something made me feel which was odd to hear.

This experiment reveals the importance of body movements, gestures, and facial expressions in our language. They communicate something much deeper than words, and are a key part of forming connections with people. They can help us express our feelings, tell if someone is uncomfortable or lying, show sympathy, and so on. Unfortunately, there are some people who are unable to read body language. Often times, individuals with Asperger syndrome cannot read body language and they take what someone says at face value, without reading in to it. For example, if someone was being sarcastic, they would not catch on to this. The advantage to being able to read body language, as previously mentioned, might be when someone is being sarcastic with you, you are able to recognize this and play along. Or if someone has just been hurt what something you have said, but they say “I’m okay”, you can read their body language and facial expression and see they are clearly not okay. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Halle,
    I had not even thought of Aspergers, but you have a good point and it is the perfect example.
    It is interesting to see how other students' experiments went, in comparison. When your friends asked how you felt about what was said, since you could not show emotion, I thought that was pretty funny. It reminds me of the stereotypical therapist question.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great description on the first experiment, both your experiences and your partner's. Good discussion on how this reflects on cultural interactions.

    "They even asked me a few times how something made me feel which was odd to hear. "

    Isn't it interesting that, even with a full ability to speak, your lack of body language made your partners just as uncomfortable as if you couldn't speak at all. Did you try describing your emotions? Did they believe you when they described them? Humans use body language as a way of confirming the spoken information. If body language doesn't match spoken, then humans are more likely to suspect that the spoken information isn't true. It's like a lie detector. If it is missing, humans don't really know what to think about what they are hearing.

    "...tell if someone is uncomfortable or lying,...."

    I see you raised that very point in the next section!

    Good call on Aspergers, though this applies to those in the autism spectrum in general.

    The last question asks if you can think of a situation where it might be best for you to NOT read body language, or possibly ignore it. Are there any circumstances where body language might mislead you? Can it be misinterpreted? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?

    Other than this final point, good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Halle,
    It's so funny, going into this assignment I was only focused on how difficult the experiments would be for me without even thinking of how difficult they would be on my partners. It seems like you kind of thought the same thing too. I enjoyed reading your blog and I thought you made an excellent point at the end with the comment about sarcasm. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halle,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I too thought Part 2 was easier than Part 1 of the experiment. In Part 2 we could not use emotion or our hands but at least we could use our voice to speak and communicate.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete